Thursday, January 8, 2009

Needle Wrap: A Tutorial

Grammie made up this fabulous needle wrap for me after I began to get serious about knitting. I absolutely love it-there's tea fabric and lots of pockets for needles of various sizes. The only problem being I've slightly outgrown the bag and all of my bamboo needles were stuck together in one pocket. Since I love this bag so much, I didn't want to create an entirely new wrap but one that would fit my eight and five inch bamboo needles. So I made up a little double-pointed needle wrap, just right for my bamboo needles.
The Little Wrap
You will need:
12X12 inch square of main fabric (light blue fabric), backing fabric (white fabric), and interfacing
12X7 inch square of medium fabric (white with blue flowers)
12X4 1/2 inch square of small fabric (blue dots)
Two 12 inch strips of ric rac
Thread
Fabric marker

Steps:
1. Iron the interfacing onto the wrong side of the main 12X12 inch fabric.
2. While ironing, get the medium and small fabric. On the top of the fabric for both pieces , iron a quarter inch seam. Fold the seam over and iron again.
3. Head over to the sewing maching and sew along the seam on both pieces of fabric, as seen in the photo.
4. On the smallest piece of fabric, sew one strip of ric rac about one inch below the top seam. I use a glue stick to help keep the ric rac exactly where I want it.
5. Fold the other piece of ric rac in half and dart it 1/4 inch from the edge on right side of the main fabric. I placed my ric rac about half way down the right side of the fabric.
6. Ok, the hard part is over. Now we'll put all of the pieces together. In about 5 minutes, the wrap will be done. Make the sandwich from all of the prepared pieces as follows: main fabric face up, small fabric face down, medium fabric face down, backing fabric face down. Make sure the ric rac is in the sandwich and not sticking out of the edge. Pin the sandwich together and sew along the edge with a 1/4 inch seam. Leave a two inch spot unsewn along the bottom.
7. Turn the wrap right side out through the opening in the bottom. Iron the wrap and sew a top stitch just slightly in from the edge of the fabric. The fold the top 1 1/2 inches of the fabric down and iron. This will eventually create a flap to ensure your needles don't come flying out of the wrap.
8. Get out the fabric marker and draw lines about every two inches. You can make these pockets bigger or smaller depending on your needle stash size.
9. Sew down the lines you drew creating needle pockets. Then fold down the top 1 1/2 inches of fabric on the wrap(where you ironed) and sew 1/4 inch below the fold.
10. Fill with needles and knit to your heart's content.
As always, I am not a professional tutorial writer, so if anything doesn't make sense or isn't clear feel free to shout out and I'd be more than happy to clarify.

Happy knitting and sewing!

28 comments:

Amy said...

I think it makes perfect sense and it's a great tutorial. Thank you - it's item 'one' on next year's holiday gift-making list!

Andrea said...

Hooray! I think I'll make one for myself! :)

Sarah said...

Thanks Jessica!

Andrea said...

Great tutorial! Thanks so much.

Holli said...

Awesome tutorial, Jess and what amazing fabrics (both you and Grammie chose).

Christina said...

I love the tea fabric in the needle wrap you Grandma made! It's so, so sophistacatedly adoreable. And the new needle wrap is claverly made.

Thimbleanna said...

Great tutorial Jessica. I've been meaning to make a needlecase FORever -- my needles are in a big jumble. Love your pics from your winter walk!

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

Great tutorial and really timely-I know of a lot of people who want to take up knitting in the New Year. I'll be linking.

Dawn said...

I need one of these! Thank you for this tutorial. As soon as I get my new sewing machine, I want to make a needle wrap.

raining sheep said...

That is great sewing project. Now that I know how to thread my sewing machine, I could probably try this. Happy 2009, by the way, I wish you many wonderful moments.

Amy @ Park City Girl said...

Now I just need to take up knitting! Thanks for sharing :)

burrowhouse said...

I AM going to learn to knit...soon! So I will NEED this tut! HA!

Cami said...

Just what I needed. Thanks so much for the great tutorial.

Andie said...

That is such a smart idea!! I have a ton of needles (crochet hooks too) that are just thrown into a basket. This would work perfect for my paintbrushes as well. Thanks!!
a.

Rebekah said...

Thanks for posting this! I made a knitting needle case a while back that I've grown out of and my next project will be a case for my dpns.

Heidi said...

Hi Jessica! I'm loving your blog...too cute! I'm a speech therapist too! I've had a needle holder on my list of things to make for a while. I think this tutorial will give me the push I need to actually make one of my own. THANKS!

Rach said...

Thanks for the great tutorial. Now if you could teach me to knit...

disa said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Sildenafil Citrate said...

I'm a constructor so I'm looking this site just for curiosity and I could see it will be perfect when I'm working at home.

Joan Anne said...

This is perfect! It's beautiful. Thank you for sharing. I will create this needle wrap.

Oregon Salmon Fishing | California Steelhead Fishing

Forged documents said...

Usually I do not post comments on blogs, but I would like to say that this blog really forced me to do so! Thanks, for a really nice read.

seo information-junaid said...

Even though books are the most excellent information resources, we have observed the blogs have turned out to be the first choice of students.

order to buy thesis paper

thesis experts said...

All and sundry agrees with the revolution in internet social world after the introduction of web 2.0 websites. Thanks for contributing in it.

Anonymous said...

Great tutorial just wondering what you do with the backing fabric?

website design company said...

Very interesting and fascinatingly. Excellent. Thank You guys for your good job.

alexa jeam said...

Nice post. I was checking constantly this blog and I am impressed! Extremely helpful information specially the last part I care for such info a lot. I was seeking this particular information for a very long time. Thank you and good luck.
advertising | top advertising agencies in Pakistan | Marketing Agency | Advertisement

obat herbal said...

Glad to visit your site. An awesome blog. Nice Information It's really very informative that I wanted ever, thanks for this. Jual Peninggi Badan Alami Bali Ratih Obat Jerawat Obat Asam Urat AlamiKapsul Mengkudu Obat Pelangsing Badan HerbalMadu Hitam Pahit Masker Wajah Alami