Friday, October 21, 2011

Friday: The Art of Community

community
Joining my friend Kyrie today chatting about the beauty of the ordinary arts.

When I left the town I had lived in for all of my life to go to college (a mere 45 minutes away) the thing I missed the most was driving down the road to see someone I knew driving down the other side.  Seeing a friend, family member, or a familiar community member on the other side of the road was so comforting to me.  

It is no secret that I love the community that I live in these days.  Unlike many of the classmates I grew up with, I still live here. In fact, I live in the home I dreamed I would live in- my great-grandma's school house.  Beyond living in the middle of the village, across from my old school, down the street from my family, I work in this community as well.  I love this.  

I love living less than a half a mile from my two closest friends, down the street from my family, and walking distance from work.  I love running into families I work with in the grocery store, walking to the cafe, and turning the corner for the farmer's market.  Driving down the road waving to friends and familiar faces brings me so much joy.

It is no secret that I am a homebody and familiarity brings me comfort.  However, this community means so much more.  It is support, kindness, and love. 

6 comments:

* elizabeth * said...

mmm.. that's what it makes me think. it's a warm cup of tea feeling to always feel like you're home.

peaceliving said...

Jessica, it's nice to get a little snapshot of your community and your days...it sounds wonderful! Where we live you can't walk to anything but neighbors. I'd love to live where other things are more accessible. Beautiful photo!

sarah elwell said...

It's been a while since I visited your lovely weblog ... I forgot how beautiful your photographs are.

A Day That is Dessert said...

Community is everything, however and wherever we find it. I go out of my way to create it while living in a huge city.

northsidefour said...

Finding your community, I believe, is one of the very best things a person can do. And even in a big city, even when you might have to work to discover and build it, it is well worth any time and effort. I love my community, and I'm so happy to hear about yours.

Nay Mah said...

what an amazing story...i like it

Please check out my new blog http://naymahsworld.blogspot.com & lets follow each other:-)